The French Caramel Pecan Bars is a recipe that I cut out of a newspaper YEARS ago. It is easy to make and freezes well. The Deluxe Chocolate Marshmallow Bars is a Taste of Home recipe I found while looking for something “very chocolate”. It keeps in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks!
French Caramel Pecan Bars surrounded by Brownie Pops at Tasha’s Graduation Party
Deluxe Chocolate Marshmallow Bars featured with Mini Pies at Shelby’s graduation Party
Both are served along with Peanut Butter Cup Cookies and Frosted Brownies at Dick & Cindy’s Wedding Reception
French Caramel Pecan Bars
¾ cup butter, melted
1 pkg Moist Supreme French Vanilla Cake Mix
2 ½ cups quick cooking rolled oats
1 can coconut pecan frosting
1 (12 oz) pkg (2 cups) semi-sweet chocolate chips
½ cup chopped pecans
Heat oven to 3500 F. Spray a 15x10x1 inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
Place melted butter in large bowl. Reserve 3 tablespoons of the cake mix; set aside.
Add remaining cake mix to the butter; blend well. Add egg; mix well. Stir in oats.
Press 2/3 of cake mix mixture (about 2 ½ cups) in bottom of sprayed pan.
Place frosting in medium microwave bowl; microwave on high for 1 minute. Add reserved 3 tablespoons cake mix; stir until large lumps disappear.
Drizzle half of frosting mixture over cake mix mixture in pan; spread evenly.
Sprinkle with chocolate chips and pecans. Drizzle with remaining frosting mixture.
Crumble remaining cake mix mixture over frosting mixture.
Bake at 3500 F. for 25 to 30 minutes or until top is golden brown and edges are bubbly. Cool completely.
Cut into bars. Makes 48 bars.
Deluxe Chocolate Marshmallow Bars
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts, optional
- 4 cups miniature marshmallows
- 1-1/3 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups crisp rice cereal
- In a small bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla.
- Combine the flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture. Stir in nuts if desired. Spread in a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan.
- Bake at 350° for 15-18 minutes. Sprinkle with marshmallows; bake 2-3 minutes longer. Remove to a wire rack. Using a knife dipped in water, spread the melted marshmallows evenly over top. Cool completely.
- For topping, combine the chocolate chips, peanut butter and butter in a small saucepan. Cook and stir over low heat until blended. Remove from the heat; stir in cereal. Spread over bars immediately. Chill. Yield: about 3 dozen.